Saturday, July 14, 2007

Falling Apart Already

I'm not really sure what is going on but my knees have been bothering me since March. I think it has to do with the weight that I gained after the third baby. I went back to karate practice and started training in forms for a tournament and then in March I just woke up and my knees were bothering me. I am trying to combat it with taking glucosamine/chondroitin complex. I think it might help if I was much more diligent about it. That is probably why I am not feeling the effects of this yet. I'm trying to set up a routine on when I take my pills. Hopefully it will force me into a habit. I hope it works because I notice that after biking any distance (like yesterday's 7 miles) I could feel my knees bothering me.

On top of that my feet are bothering me too. Plantar fasciitis. Sometimes my feet hurt so bad that I look like a 90 year old woman trying to walk and in need of a cane! It sucks. I have found some great shoes to help combat the issue. I do notice that even when I am biking and not putting the strain on my feet like when I am walking/jogging that they still hurt. So I guess wearing the cheap shoes are out. Just have to have shoes with good support. Can't believe I'm falling apart already!

4 comments:

Kristen Blessing Madl said...

Hang in there, I feel for you...You work hard and play hard and you have been super busy, maybe your body is needing some rest. I completely understand your frustrations and I too, have knee and feet problems.

Even if I was only 100 pounds I would still have problems because my knees got messed up playing sports. As far as Plantar fasciitis, my friend and her husband have that bad and there is nothing you can do except for wear good shoes and you are doing that.

She has seen a foot doctor and he told her the worst thing for her feet is hardwood floors and her husband had just put all new hardwood floors in their house so she has to pretty much wear shoes all the time.

The foot doctor did tell her also to take time to put her feet up and elevated. My feet are the same way, I don't know if I have Plantar fasciitis but if I'm sitting for a long period of time, like in the morning after sleeping all night, I also look like I'm 90...It's terrible.

Good job on all of your bike rides, like I said before in other blogs, your doing so good that it doesn't even matter if you exercise so I don't need to keep telling you how awesome you look, you know you got it girl!...winking at you!

Non-Athletic Athlete said...

You might try looking on Ebay for cheap but good shoes. I got some Pearl Izumi shoes that were $100 shoes for $27 (with shipping) and I love them. I love them so much I bought 2 pairs of them.

You might also try swimming as a cross train which helps as a no impact sport.

Flabulous Mom said...

Thanks for the support and suggestions. I just threw out some old shoes and flip-flops that don't have support and invested in a pair of sandals that do. I also am in shoes 95% of the time indoors because my feet hurt less when I do this.

I would love to swim as part of my training. It would be great to lose some of that jiggles under the arms and streamline them too. It's really hard with little ones. I keep aiming for it though. In the meantime good shoes are the plan.

Fat 2 Fit said...

I was having a LOT of problems with plantar fascitis - I had been diagnosed by PT, physiatrist & orthitist that I had worked with. the WORST thing you can do is wear a shoe that puts you in plantar flexion - be sure your shoes are flat, flat, flat (but has good arch support). Other things that have helped me (it finally doesn't bother me as much) - stretch a lot, as often as you can. I can show you when you come over the stretches I was given. The best is when you go up the stairs, pause and let your heels hang over the edge. I was told for me the problem was that I went from strict bedrest to highly active. THe tendons at the bottom of my foot had shrunk - I was causing micro-tears & inflammation every day when I moved around without stretching...

How did it get better? I quit working at the hospital I think was the #1 reason it got better - not on my feet all day.

Stretched frequently, especially after sleeping or extended sitting.

Filled an old water bottle with water & froze, rolled with the bottom of my feet to ice it up.

I hope this helps...