Thursday, August 2, 2007

Women's Self Defense

The really cool thing about karate is sometimes I get to teach something to someone else that may help them out in the future. Last night was one of those nights. Our school held a self-defense class for those who wanted to come. Mainly women. Though last night was not the workout karate is usually, it was still beneficial. Helping others learn some techniques that would help them out was fun. Some of the women there gave some senarios that they have encountered and the instructors were able to demonstrate some ways in which you would be able to defend or escape the situation. The women that came were really interested in learning this information so that made the class much more involved and exciting. I too learned some new techniques and situations that one could be faced with. Overall a very good night.

I think the biggest thing that I took away from that class is this: BE AWARE. Karate has certainly done this for me. I know this sounds like a simple concept but sometimes I forget. Like when I am loading groceries in the car and the kids are whining that they are ready to go. Although I would like to think that all people have good intentions I know that's not true. Just turn on the news! So if I can help someone else by reminding them to always be aware then cool! So, to all you ladies out there, remember BE AWARE!

4 comments:

Non-Athletic Athlete said...

awesome words of advice. I try to be very aware of my surroundings, and think for the most part that I am, but we all get caught up in day dreaming or just life, so it is good to keep reminding each other this concept.

Kristen Blessing Madl said...

Great words of advice! I need to take the self defense class up my way but in the meantime, I think a little kickboxing will work! hehehe

Fat 2 Fit said...

Awesome! It is too bad that self-defense isn't something they teach in high school PE. Something useful - a life skill... taught in public school. What was I thinking? ;)

It really is something that would be useful for all of us to know. So when you get your black belt you can teach us all self defense right?

Flabulous Mom said...

F2F-Life skills? You mean playing dodge ball and running laps aren't considered life skills?LOL Public Schools have a hard enough time teaching the basic RRRs let alone something else that might be useful.

And yes, when I make my black belt I could teach you if you wanted me to. Although I don't know if we would be too busy goofing around to learn. :)